Sunday, October 29, 2017

The Protection Racket in the Old Testament; Leviticus 26

The Protection Racket
Leviticus 26 1:13 promises good treatment to those who are faithful to God, while Leviticus 14:46 threatens punishment to those who are not faithful to God.  The essence of the passage is repeated in Deuteronomy 28.  
Leviticus 26
14 The Lord said, “If you will not obey my commands, you will be punished.
I will bring disaster on you—incurable diseases and fevers that will make you blind and cause your life to waste away. You will plant your crops, but it will do you no good, because your enemies will conquer you and eat what you have grown.
18 “If even after all of this you still do not obey me, I will increase your punishment seven times.
...
21 “If you still continue to resist me and refuse to obey me, I will again increase your punishment seven times. 22 I will send dangerous animals among you, and they will kill your children, destroy your livestock, and leave so few of you that your roads will be deserted.
23 “If after all of this punishment you still do not listen to me, but continue to defy me, 24 then I will turn on you and punish you seven times harder than before. 25 I will bring war on you to punish you for breaking our covenant, and if you gather in your cities for safety, I will send incurable diseases among you, and you will be forced to surrender to your enemies.
27 “If after all of this you still continue to defy me and refuse to obey me, 28 then in my anger I will turn on you and again make your punishment seven times worse than before. 29 Your hunger will be so great that you will eat your own children. 30 I will destroy your places of worship on the hills, tear down your incense altars, and throw your dead bodies on your fallen idols. In utter disgust 31 I will turn your cities into ruins, destroy your places of worship, and refuse to accept your sacrifices. 32 I will destroy your land so completely that the enemies who occupy it will be shocked at the destruction. 33 I will bring war on you and scatter you in foreign lands. Your land will be deserted, and your cities left in ruins.  [Good News Translation.]
 ---------

For those who are disobedient to God, in addition to other punishments, God will force the unfaithful to eat their children, due to starvation.  Really?  Is there no consideration for the innocence of children in God’s judgment?  Is this the same God of Love who is presented at church youth camp?  In these passages, God seems to have the character of a mafia “protection” boss, rather than the supreme being of love and ultimate goodness.  Extortion as a process for gaining love and devotion doesn’t seem very divine to me.

Martin Luther, founder of the Reformation, wrote: "If grace depends on our cooperation, then it is no longer grace" (1525. On Bondage of the Will).  And if the love of God depends on intimidation, it isn't love.

No comments:

Post a Comment